Thursday, February 21, 2008

my second post

So my hopes are that i can post new material on here once a day. I want to keep this journal as current as possible so that my readers can count on new stuff every time they check this blog out. I'm hesitant to commit to 1 new sketch a day, but i'm going to give it my best. today was pretty rainy and i found it hard to find some good subjects to study but here at 2 drawings i created which i like. the first one is a still life of a large pot with a small plant growing. i made this primarily a tonal study and i think it is interesting because it was done at night which affected the lighting. the tones are all very close to one another but i think i managed to make a clear seperation of each value. i'm also pleased at how i captured the "hint" of a plant growing by the gestural lines and forms i made on the paper.


this last drawing i did tonight was of an older woman that had this beautiful silvery hair. I find drawing older women is a challenge because its difficult to capture their femininity and also their age. i tried to restrain from creating too man "wrinkles" and focused more on the shapes of her face, but i think her older age still comes across. this is much less of a tonal study and more an excercise of line


one of my readers requested that i post some of my recent paintings up here so i decided to showcase just a few:

this first one is my most recent painting. i almost always paint in oils. so far, this piece i believe is the best example of my ability as a painter


this next one is a still life of a bowl of oranges. while the color is vibrant and i manged to capture some beautiful details on the oranges, it lacks an understanding of tonal relationships. i painted this before i began studying tone as it relates to painting:


here are a few more for your veiwing pleasure:




1 comment:

Jamal O said...

Awesome Glad you have you in Bloggo land.

Nice paintings!