Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Tibetan ritual dagger

so i was inspired by this weapon, the Tibetan ritual dagger. i think weapons in general are pretty interesting, and among weapons i find daggers provocative to say the least. i bought a book on weaponry the other day at borders because i realized i don't know anything about weapons. i mean, I've definitely shot my share of guns out on the farm back in the bluegrass, but if i try and sit down to draw a weapon, be it a gun, sword, dagger, canon...i find that I'm rather ignorant of the basic structures and designs. i can draw your basic revolver, but that's boring. the best, most interesting looking weapons come from that time of long ago. spartan swords, medieval maces, and of course, Tibetan ritual daggers. This unique dagger has a pleasing "s" shape and is traditionally adorned with intricate gems and patterns on the sheath. I wanted to illustrate it in a mystical, fantasy setting, in a remote location, sitting on an altar. I decided to do just this and added a "treasure hunter" character discovering this find yet looking over his shoulder almost as if he has heard someone...or something behind him, down the long dark corridor. This is my sketch that i produced today, and i plan on digitally painting it over the next several days. I'll be posting the works in progress so you all can see my process.

No comments: